When you first arrive in Vietnam it can be a little daunting, especially when you first encounter the masses of motorbikes and crazy traffic. Ho Chi Minh City is still in the process of constructing its metro system, so you may have asked yourself the important question – how am I going to get around? Of course there is the bus system, although this can be a little tricky to navigate when in a new country and city. But fear not, the Grab app, which is very similar to Uber will likely become your best friend whilst you are here. In this post we will explain how to use Grab. Making it much easier for you to get around the city and enable you to enjoy your time exploring and get the most out of your time here.
The main purpose of Grab is for rides whether it is a bike or a car, you will also see on there that there is also a variety of other services provided, for example ordering food and topping up your phone as well as earning rewards. Be sure to check for rewards when you use the app, as you never know what you may find.
The app has a location tracker of the bike driver, so that you can see the progress of the driver.
Step by Step:
1. The first step is to insert your Vietnamese sim into your phone, ensuring you have data. Then install the Grab application onto your mobile device, entering your contact details to create an account. For example, you will be first required to enter your Vietnamese phone number, but there is also the option to sign in using Facebook.
2. There is an option to add your card details, you can do this if you wish although be aware of any bank charges that may occur every time you use your card to pay for a ride. Cashless is also an option although it depends on what you’re comfortable with.
3. You can then select the service you want from the homepage, for example choosing a Grab Bike.
4. You can save locations on the app so it would be a good idea to input and save your ‘home’ address and ‘work’ address so that you can easily access them (this also saves time), especially if you forget the address of a name of a building for example.
5. When you want to book a ride, enter the location you want to be picked up from, this will be a blue pinpoint. Grab can detect your location but sometimes its incorrect so be sure to double check that the pin point is in the place you want to be picked up from. If it is incorrect you can change it by readjusting the pin point or typing in an address.
6. Once you have done this, you then enter the destination you wish to be taken to – the marker will be red when you search for the location. You can then confirm the details once you’re happy and the app will search for a driver nearby and confirm the price.
7. After the ride is booked and confirmed, you will then be given the registration number information – make sure you check the number plate on the app and on the motorbike both match before getting on the bike.
8. Always wear a helmet, sometimes you will need to adjust the helmet so that it sits comfortably and securely on your head.
You can also watch a video version of this here